In recent presentations and TV interviews, I’ve been discussing my 5 Disciplines of Health & Vitality – LAKSA. Yes, this very popular, not so healthy Asian dish, happens to be an acronym for the disciplines – but we will come up with a much healthier recipe to justify its use. In summary, LAKSA represents;
1. LOVE and appreciate your body (and mind). We get only one, we expect a lot from it, so we should never take it for granted. There are many tools available to help us improve body confidence – for example, enjoying sports contributes tremendously towards better body image.
2. ACTION – once we learn to appreciate our body, we are more likely to take action to fuel it with good nutritious food. By filling our life with good things, we crowd out the bad stuff – stock our fridges with wholesome fresh produce, and we are more likely to make quick healthy meals. If we don’t have junk food lying about around the house, we can’t eat it, at least when at home.
3. KNOWLEDGE – learn the basics, know the facts. There are so many facts and fads out there, a lot of conflicting information and latest diet trends to follow. By understanding the basics of nutrition, for example why our body needs each of the macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats), then we are in a better position to make good choices. Over 2,500 additives are allowed in our food – not all are harmful, but many are chemicals and known carcinogens. Surely we owe it to ourselves, and our loved ones, to understand the good from the bad, so we can avoid the latter.
4. SKILL – with the acquired knowledge, we need to practice some skills so that they become good habits. This, of course, takes a little energy and time, but all worth the investment towards better health. We can learn to shop, stock and cook more efficiently – how to make better choices when traveling and dining out. Keeping a Health Journal and Goal Setting are great tools in helping us learn many skills, and acquire good habits.
5. ATTITUDE – enjoy the journey and embrace the challenges. As we strive to improve any aspect of our life, then it’s important to be mindful and to keep things in balance. Our aspirations may not be in line with those of others, so let’s be empathetic as we pursue our personal goals.
My personal goal is to help you take control of your health and your vitality, which incorporates following your passions and fulfilling your lifelong dreams. Do come on this journey with me, it’s guaranteed to be a fun, successful one.
To our health,
You can follow me on one or more of the following channels: