Recently, in Healthy Alternatives: A Better Jelly Jam I advised how to make better choices when shopping for healthier spreads in your local grocery store.
However, if you want to make your own version at home, which is usually healthier still and less expensive, you can try this Strawberry Jam recipe with a special ingredient – none other than chia seeds!
To make 8 ounces of jam, you need: (simply reduce the ingredients by half if you’d prefer to try only 4 ounces initially):
225 grams (8 oz) frozen strawberries
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (or coconut nectar or honey – best not to use the more healthful raw honey when bringing it to high heat)
1-2 tablespoons ground or whole
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut frozen strawberries into quarter size
- Place them, and the maple syrup (or alternative) in a pot, over medium heat
- Mash the strawberries with a fork/back of a spoon, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 6 minutes
- Stir frequently until the strawberry mixture starts to thicken
- Add the chia seeds to the mixture for about 1 minute while stirring continuously
- Remove the pot from the heat and leave standing for 45 minutes to cool
- Place the mixture in a clean jar; seal with a tight lid then refrigerate until fully chilled
If curiosity takes the better of you, and you’d like to use the jam right away as a spread, or in your oatmeal or
Note: Jam will last long in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. Just make sure that lid is tightly sealed.
Benefits of Chia Seeds:
‘Chia‘ meaning strength are little powerhouses of omega 3 essential fatty acids, fiber, and protein, and are high in nutrients such as calcium, phosphorous, and anti-oxidants, vitamins A and E.
High in dietary fiber, chia seeds help improve overall digestive health. Omega 3 essential fatty acids contribute to a healthy heart, improve cholesterol and help fight inflammation. As powerhouses, they boost energy and metabolism; the calcium contributes to bone health, and their generous antioxidant level helps in anti-aging, including improved skin texture!
Want more ideas on how to incorporate the wonderful chia seed? Check out my Omega Power Bombs recipe!
To our health!
You can follow me on one or more of the following channels: