I simply adore good food. I study it, research it, present and teach about it, but most of all, I love to enjoy it.
So how excited was I to be invited as a VIP guest to meet the three Asia Celebrity Masterchefs, and our Singapore contestants recent? Well, much more excited than you might think.
I’ve been fortunate to live in many of the best food cities in the world, at least according to my collection of cookbooks – Sydney, Hong Kong, Toronto and more recently Singapore. Toronto, in particular, stands out (that’s also where I did my nutrition studies) for
I now live in Singapore, which is recently thriving in the gastronomy sphere – Susur Lee is involved in two restaurants here, and hopefully, many more to come – with his help Singapore will soon be on that world stage. So of course, meeting
As a holistic nutritionist and a total gourmet enthusiast, yes I’m all about food – but cooking and being creative in the kitchen doesn’t come naturally to me. I am passionate about having the best, freshest, most nutritious ingredients, but what to do with them? Well, I leave that to friends like Susur ;-). Luckily for me, he and a host of other amazing chefs and home-cooks, are devoted to creating the best possible cuisine to
The three celebrity chefs were in Singapore to kick off the Masterchef Asia TV
So how exciting were the ingredients:
• 6 Large Prawns With Shells
• Bunch Of Fresh Coriander/Chinese Parsley
• Old Ginger
• 1 Can Of Coconut Milk
• 1 Pineapple
• 2 Daikons
Ok, you agree, not terribly exciting.
Here’s my synopsis
• Prawns, while very low in fat, offer
• Ginger, known for its calming properties, helps against nausea and aids digestion. It has anti-inflammatory properties, as does
• Pineapple, which also contains rich digestive enzymes (bromelain).
• Coriander (cilantro) helps control blood sugar levels, and lowering cholesterol, while
• Parsley with its high levels of vitamin
• Daikon is a diuretic and eases respiratory symptoms.
• Coconut milk is high in saturated fats (although
• Cereal provides
What’s missing? Firstly,
However, I would love to see a lot more greens (leafy greens, asparagus, and broccoli) and reds/orange (peppers, tomatoes, pumpkin, carrots) for more
Incorporating healthy fats would make the dish more ‘complete’ along with some crunch for texture – nuts or seeds would provide both.
From the three creations by the contestants, the dish that appealed to me the most, both in aesthetics and flavor (by description – unfortunately only the celebrity chefs got to taste) was the Prawn Tacos. I like how the very tropical ingredients were turned into a more western style dish, while still keeping the wonderful local
What would I have cooked?
My preference is to have meats and fish only a ‘little dressed’ so their intrinsic
• BBQ the prawns with a splash of lemon juice, chili, and pepper
• Peel the Daikon into very long very thin strips, and marinate in fresh lime juice with lots of spices & herbs (chili, pepper, ginger, cilantro). Roast until crispy
• Make a thick sweet spicy curry sauce (pineapple, coconut, ginger, herbs)
• Create ‘green’ dumplings from the cereal adding lots of chopped fresh herbs
• Place dumplings on a plate
• Cover with half curry sauce
• Make waves of the Diakon strips over the dumplings
• Pour remaining curry sauce on
• Place BBQ prawns on top of the daikon ‘waves’ and dumpling ‘rocks’
• Sprinkle with fresh herbs and chopped chili peppers, and of course sea salt, to complete our ‘ocean scene’.
To the creators out there, what do you think? Perhaps I’ll drop a note to Susur or Bruno to get their opinion! To witness more amazing creations, and for wonderful family entertainment, do watch airings from September 3rd, 2015 at 9 pm.
As a final word, I am truly passionate about getting us, and our kids, into the kitchen – it’s one of the best things we can do in our goal to get healthier. I can’t think of a more fun way to get motivated, than watching these 3 judges critique the brilliance of our budding Asian celebrity MasterChefs.
To our health!
You can follow me on one or more of the following channels: